The Axe is a weapon used to damage or kill Minor Enemies, or to slow down certain Specimens.
Obtaining the Axe
The axe can be found in the Forest Rooms, at Room 554. Its blade is embedded in a tree, and once obtained text will appear on the screen instructing how to attack with it.
Swinging the axe decreases the stamina bar by about 1/10. When the stamina reaches zero in the original game, the player will still be able to swing it. However, in the HD Renovation the axe cannot be used if the player has no stamina, and an acoustic guitar sound will instead play if they attempt to use it.
In Rooms 554 and 557, there are wood planks blocking the door. Those must be chopped twice to open the door.
In Room 999, there are chains blocking the door. They must be chopped once to open the door.
Effect on Enemies
- If the player swings the axe at Specimen 1, they will be cut down.
- If the player swings the axe at Specimen 2, it will be knocked back slightly, providing a few seconds of time to the player.
- Swinging the axe at Specimen 3 stuns it for a few seconds.
- Swinging it at Specimen 6 knocks him out, making him unable to harm the player for one room.
- Specimen 9 (normal form) can be hit, but it will only make a sound.
- Old Specimen 10 can be hit but it will only make a sound.
- Specimen 10 can be hit, although it does not falter; this will instead force it to transform into its 2nd form, which is a dangerous leech-like creature that can move and attack very fast.
- Specimen 11 will disappear for the remainder of the room.
- Swinging at the projectiles which Specimen 9 (Boss Mode) will deflect them back at him. While stunned, the player can swing at Specimen 9 for a limited amount of time before it restores its consciousness.
In HD Renovation, several uses of the axe are changed or added.
- Specimen 2 now collapses into a puddle instead of being knocked back, reforming shortly after.
- Specimen 11 will now teleport to the start of the room before resuming the chase, rather then simply vanishing for the rest of the current room.
- Monster 3 can now be hit with the axe in Endless Mode, making it teleport to somewhere in the room that is out of view.
- Monster 4 can now be hit with the axe in Endless Mode, causing it to vanish for the remainder of the room, after 5-9 hits, the chase will automatically end.
- How many times the player swings the axe at certain enemies will determine the ending.
- The axe's poster may be a reference to the Wii game Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop.